Thursday, January 24, 2013

blog #8: reader response.

I chose the song "A Long December" by Counting Crows. This song is pretty much about someone reflecting on their life and seeing that things might be changing for the better. The implied reader in this song would be that the author wants you to understand this song is about self-reflection and about moving forward. He says "it's been a long december, and there's reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last." He wants the reader to have hope for the future and for a better life.

The actual reader, or what I bring to the text, would probably be a few memories. I remember my friend and I would always listen to Counting Crows when we went on road trips and this song would always come on, and how we talked about going to a concert of theirs, but we never did. Also it brings me back to new years eve a year ago, I was having a rough time and i listened to this song and it made me think about things, things that have happened in my life, things that were changing at the time, and things that could make the next coming year better than the last one. It just gives the song a whole new meaning for me and makes it relatable. When I can make connections like these to a text it just enhances it even more. And lastly, when I think of this song, I think about the CD that is currently sitting in my car with this song on it.

I think it is important for the author to consider the reader because the readers are the people who are supposed to listen. They shouldnt write anything that would be really offensive to them or bad. They should also try to make the text relatable to many people. I've come to realize that if there is nothing in a text I can connect with or find interest in, I wont have an interest in reading it. That is why I believe it's important to at least consider the reader a little bit when writing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment